The Faculty of Engineering and the McMaster Manufacturing Research Institute (MMRI) at McMaster University invite you to the
McMaster Manufacturing Forum
Join us on Thursday, April 6, 2017 to hear experts speak on Industry 4.0, an emerging industry trend and to tour multiple research locations here at McMaster.
Industry 4.0 Made Tangible – Tangible Things Within Industry 4.0
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Michael Zäh
Chair of Machine Tools and Production Technology at Technische Universität München and Director,
Institute for Machine Tools and Industrial Management
The Keynote presentation will address the implementation of Industry 4.0 technology. Professor Zäh’s research focuses on machine tools and generative production methods, production technology and cognition for engineering systems.
Following the keynote presentation by Prof. Zäh, we will hold an Industry 4.0 Technology Panel Discussion to explore practical, implementable ideas, with panelists from key industrial partners in Ontario.
Industry Open House
The 5th Annual Industry Open House features dynamic displays of current research projects involving undergraduate and graduate students as well as research staff and faculty. This event offers the opportunity to tour multiple research locations featuring:
- Material and Process Development - Sustainable Nano-composites, light metal material development, high pressure die casting, forging and rolling technology; Steel development and process improvement; Heat treatment process development
- Material Characterization - Electron microscopy, mechanical, corrosion, thermal and electrochemical performance; Corrosion prediction and protection
- CAD/CAM - Inspection path generation, integrated laser/blue LED scanning with touch probe, point cloud to CAD GD&T analysis
- Machining - Tooling selection and development; Virtual machining - process development and optimization using CUTPRO® and MACHPRO™
- Sheet Metal Forming - Material formability limits; Process development and optimization
- Polymer Processing - Formulation, conversion and characterization, modeling of single and twin screw extrusion, co-extrusion, injection molding, thermoforming, rotational molding, reactive extrusion, mixing and coating
- Metrology - Closed loop machining; Final part inspection and on machine geometric calibration using PolySAMBA
- Design Public Policy and Entrepreneurship - Student project highlights
- Powertrain Test Facilities - Advanced test facilities covering all major automotive powertrain components and assemblies up to complete vehicles; Hybrid powertrain technologies (batteries, electric motors, SI and CI engines, hybrid transmissions, power electronics and controls)